Edward Charles Lousada 1854-1932 and Beatrice whom he married in Prahran on 15 Dec 1884. Isabella Beatrice Haliburton Hall 1861-1917 brought her own interesting family history - she was aunt of John Tiarks, former Bishop of Chelmsford, and a sister of Jemima Affleck of Warragul.   Edward Charles Lousada with wife Beatrice and 9 children, taken at Toora around 1907 (the year on which we base our estimate of the childrens' ages). In Toora Edward Charles share-farmed successfully after leaving Traralgon and before moving to the Korumburra area. The person 3rd from the right in the back row is unknown. The daughters from the right are Tryphena (21), Ruth (9) and Catherine (18). The boys from the left are Aubrey (14), Ben (20), Ted (15), unknown, Barrow (17), and Cecil (10). Horace Frank (7) is at the front and provided recollections discussed below. Barry Smith, cousin of Julian Land, provided this photograph and remarked ironically that Beatrice's finishing school in Switzerland perhaps over-equipped her for farming in West Gippsland! She did however perform in a piano duo at St Johns Toora on 10 Apr 1910. One son, Harry Bernard, died aged 3 in 1898 and is buried at Warragul cemetery. A 1900 Xmas photograph of the same family minus Edward Charles was provided by Bronwyn Simpson on 27 Oct 2016.   This image is from a collection of early settler portraits in the foyer of the Old Shire Hall in Warragul. A presentation on him made at that venue to the West Gippsland Genealogical Society on 27 Oct 2016 can be found here. Some outcomes of the meeting can be found here.    


Edward Charles Lousada #20 (1854-1932) came to Australia in late 1871 as a 17 year-old having grown up at Peak House near Sidmouth in Devon (see note 7 below). He was born in Winchester in the year that his father inherited Peak House from Emanuel Baruh Lousada #142. He knew no other home than Peak House (see note 7 below) other than his school terms at Haileybury College (ref 85 p26). He and Beatrice visited England in 1887 (see note 9 below), the year that their 1st son Benjamin Barrow Lousada was born in Fulham, and the year that his mother's cousin Sir Barrow Helbert Ellis died. He remained in contact with his cousin Herbert George Lousada until the latter's death in 1918 (see note 1 and 2 below) but in subsequent generations such contact became spasmodic (see notes 3, 6, and 14 below).

On arriving in Australia in 1872 Edward Charles Lousada joined his 2 brothers Howel Arthur (see note 4 below) and Harry Burningham (see note 5 below) who were saltmaking at Hastings on Western Port Bay to the east of Port Phillip Bay on which Melbourne is located (see note 11 for the source of this and other details of his life). This venture was unsuccessful but at the time he arrived in Australia, blocks were available for selection under the Selection Acts of the 1860s, intended to ensure closer settlement. In 1874 he selected land a little northwest of Warragul across the Tarago River. The land he selected was hilly and needed to be cleared but was being released under favourable terms. He is considered a pioneer (hence the small photograph above) of the Warragul district. In 1884 he entered the stock and station business and married late in the year. He had many relatives in the Warragul district (see note 10 below). From his Warragul experiences he wrote 'Old Brandy Creek: Memories and other Reminiscences'  which provides a record of early settler life in the Warragul district (see note 12).

Though he was fortunate to have family bequests (see note 1 below), he struggled financially. His youngest son's recollections show that pioneer farming was difficult which perhaps explains his move to the stock and station business with William Hamilton of Warragul in 1884. This however failed in Warragul in the late 1890s, but he did manage to build 2 houses in Warragul. He seems to have continued in the stock and station business in Traralgon around 1900 with Alan Mclean but was forced to return to farming in Toora. This venture does seem to have been successful (see note 13) and the family was prominent in church life in Toora. However the butter factory which took his cream burnt down in 1914 and he appears to have arrived at Hillside near Korumburra by 31 Aug 1914, moving on to Clanville by 1917. According to family legend, to re-establish himself in Korumburra he depended on the Army pay of his 3 sons as Aubrey on return home from France in 1919 discovered. Aubrey made his own way by obtaining a soldier settler farming block up the hill from Clanville. Edward Charles Lousada was described in an obituary as being highly educated, slow-spoken, mighty alert mentally, and endowed with a dry sense of humour. He was transparently honest and strictly honourable. His grave is in Korumburra Cemetery.



1. A theme in the Edward Charles Lousada/Herbert George Lousada correspondence was the status of current bequests; Herbert George was a lawyer who looked after the affairs of many of the family. Among the amounts that Edward Charles received we know about the following:

These amounts amount to around £6000 which was a sizable sum, perhaps worth £1,000,000 in today's money. It is difficult to measure changing value of money over long periods, because the different measures vary so much. A generation earlier Samuel Barrow had, so Tony Harding informs us, £7000 with him when he came to Tasmania in 1842, and this amount may have been worth more as it was a single lump sum (eh.net is a useful reference on measures of inflation). 

2. In his 22 Oct 1914 letter, Herbert George Lousada offered to help with prospective English visits of children of Edward Charles Lousada, namely the eldest daughter Tryphena and a son presumably Cecil to whom another letter refers. He refers to a son of their cousin Arthur, son of Isaac Baruh Lousada (a brother of John, Mary, Simeon Charles and George). He speaks of the Empire's support of Britain in WW1, naturally without any inkling of the number of Barrows and Lousadas who would die in it (including the above-mentioned Barrow and Cecil), for Gallipoli and the Western Front action were yet to occur. He also refers to his cousins but Edward Charles' brothers St Leger (see note 6 below) and Reginald Robert in less-than-flattering terms, but he had an optimistic view of the latter's children (see note 3 below).

3. Rochfort Osman Lousada went to South Africa, Katie went to Kenya (as a nurse) and Norah Agnes to Australia (also as a nurse). Audrey Dowel nee Lousada remembered Norah Agnes who visited the Lousadas of Korumburra from time to time. These Lousadas were double cousins of the children of Howel Arthur Lousada (see note 4 below). Norah Agnes placed a death notice for her siblings in an Australian newspaper - they both died in Africa around the same time.

4. Howel Arthur Lousada as indicated above tried farming after his salt-making experience but became an industrious magistrate. Newspaper records of a large number of his hearings can be readily found on Trove - Australia's integrated online library resource. Audrey Dowel remembers Arthur Francis Lousada the second son of Howel Arthur Lousada whose second wife (they weren't married according to Winton) was a live-in nurse to Blanche Skipper. Howel Arthur Lousada and Reginald Robert Lousada married Rochfort sisters, so their children were cousins on both the Rochfort and Lousada sides. There is a Rochfort Family Tree on ancestry.com. Arthur Francis Lousada's 2nd son Winton Harman Lousada met Marion Irene Keyser, a grand-daughter of Herbert George Lousada, on a 1951 trip to England when he visited the Keyser home in Eaton Square and received some Lousada stationery as a memento (now in the possession of Julian Land). He was invited to a Lousada reunion in Portugal, which he could not attend - sadly. Later, Winton met a Mrs Louzada on a KLM flight in 1957 from Kuala Lumpur to Sydney - and we solved the puzzle as to who she was when we located and made contact with the family of her son Emile Louzada. Perhaps the Portuguese re-union was at the initiative of her husband Hans Louzada a KLM executive who died in Spain in 1998 and who visited the Lousada villages of the Duoro Valley!

5. Harry Burningham Lousada was somewhat accident-prone as shown by Trove (see our comments on Horace Frank's recollections for more details), but was part-owner of a horse The Levite which won the Hotham Handicap in 1887. He was in Australia before Edward Charles, but travelled to Fremantle by 1884 via Echuca and Maitland SA, returned to marry in Melbourne in 1887, and spent the rest of his life in Western Australia; he died in Fremantle WA, leaving only a troubled widow (what we know of him can be found here and in the relevant genealogy).

6. Peter Desmond Lousada, grandson of St Leger Lousada, was living in Western Australia aged 87 in 2011. Julian Land spoke to him and learnt that he used the Lousada surname in military service though his mother Paddy Bullock never married the father - who was the 17-year old son of the impecunious St Leger Lousada. Peter Desmond Lousada was the result of a seaside holiday romance! Peter Allen Lousada has met Hugo Lousada, who however may not have realized that he was Peter Desmond Lousada's father! One of the many puzzles we have solved is who the Lousada was who 3 decades ago visited the TV repair shop of Allan Lousada in Dandenong - it was Clive Lousada son of Peter Desmond Lousada!

7. He appears at Peak House in 1861 as shown by the census of that year but not of 1871. Ref 85 p26 shows him leaving for Australia in 1871, presumably after the school year ended in June. Ref 187 shows him arriving 20 Sep 1871 on the Yorkshire from Gravesend.

8. Horace Frank Lousada met Sir Anthony Baruh Lousada in London in 1978 - and the latter's handwriting can be found on copies of the old Lousada family tree. Lily Lousada, Sir Anthony's granddaughter from his second marriage told us that her father Sebastian recognised the handwriting. Diana Mayne pointed out that Horace Frank Lousada visited England in late 1978 and tried unsuccessfully to see her Hall Tiarks relatives. Sir Anthony was knighted in 1978 (his notes include this detail) and the visit must have been after the date of investiture.

9. They departed on 26 Jul on the Carthage 1 with no record of Tryphena being with them.

10. His brother Howell Arthur Lousada #28 1849-1925 was in the Warragul district (see note 4 above). Also in the Warragul area was Beatrice's sister Jemima Affleck nee Hall #665 who married Charles Affleck who became in late 1884 the first president of the Warragul agricultural society, with Howel Arthur Lousada being a vice-president (ref 124 page 367). Jemima Affleck - then 28 with a young family - probably minded Tryphena who seems not to have been taken on the 1887 trip to England. He had a nephew in Australia as well - John Graham Tyssen #493 1871-1951 who died in Warragul - son of his sister Mary Jane Tyssen nee Lousada #115 1835-1921 (the second child of John Baruh Lousada of Peak House). He also had cousins in the district - the Skipper siblings with whom he worked closely in the early period as shown by his daily diary for 1876. All the sons of the John Baruh Lousada marriage with Tryphena Barrow, except Mortimer, were in Australia or had descendants in Australia.

11. We obtained recollections by Horace Frank Lousada of his father's Australian life from the Warragul & District Historical Society; these have been uploaded and together with some of our comments can be found by clicking on the link. The notes cover much of the time between his arrival in Australia in 1872 until taking up dairying at Korumburra. We make some further comments on them - in Korumburra he was at Hillside around 1914 and then Clanville around 1917; his 1887 trip to England is not covered; neither is the significance of his decade until 1913 in Toora, where he met the Truscott family, leading to two of his children (Catherine Frances and Aubrey George) marrying 2 Truscott siblings (Thomas William and Mary).

12. It may be found in Box 126/3 at the Royal Historical Society of Victoria and a transcript is available in the library of the West Gippsland Genealogical Society. In one passage he describes a conversation about the 1854 drowning of his uncle Samuel Barrow.

13. Newspaper reports show that he was sharefarming successfully perhaps thanks to the existence of the Foster butter factory, for he separated cream from whey which he fed to brood sows and the pigs were also fed on pumpkins he grew. He was active in trying to establish a more local butter factory but this was not achieved by the time he left Toora.

14. A granddaughter of Herbert George Lousada met a grandson of Edward Charles' brother Howel Arthur Lousada (see note 4) and a son of Edward Charles Lousada met a grandson of Herbert George Lousada (see note 8).